Wednesday 20 January 2010

My Idea Development - Concepts/Digital Paintings

So i took a break from the modelling and i've decided to upload the concepts and digital paintings that helped me get to my idea... To start off with i knew what i wanted but i wasn't too sure how to get there... One particular image stood out for me which i used as a reference throughout my idea development (I couldn't get rid of this image from my head, all of my ideas and sketches pretty much revoloved around this image). and here it is...


I know what you're probably thinking and it's along the lines of "its a picture of the woods... so what". But the thing i loved most about this image was how theatrical it was and this was the style that i wanted to stick to in my final piece. I feel that my final piece isn't as theatrical as this, however it does have some theatrical elements, particularly the lighting, which is slightly overemphasised but helps create a eerieness. I got so hooked and obsessed with this image that i hit the 'writer's block' and i even began using the image to draw over as a digital painting...


After avoiding the problem for a while and jumping onto my Maya tutorials and completing my essay, i realised i needed to get my ideas flowing again. This break seemed to help me refresh my thoughts a little bit and i came back with new elements to my idea and i was constantly chopping and changing things... in my head... i still haven't got used to this putting my thoughts straight onto paper. Bu thats next on my agenda in improving my skills. However, in our Photoshop lessons, Phil was able to take my ideas and put me on the right path for digitally painting the idea i had...


This was my first real start to portray my idea and although it seems very flat, it was a step further than what i had been stuck on. For me the idea was there, it just needed some perspective, compostion and a lot more depth. This was my first attempt in taking the concept to that next step...


As you can see, i was getting there, slowly but surely. Luckily Phil came back just before i finished this concept and gave me the guidance that i needed to turn the concept above, into more refined concept...



With Perspective, composition and depth i was able to produce a more wholesome concept and get a good idea of where everything could go in my model. I was actually reasonably happy with this concept and i was just going to add a few little details, but again, Phil popped up and gave me a few pointers on deciding how i wanted the lighting to be and straight away this gave the image the eerieness that it needed, turning it from something kind of uncanny to something that was unmistakeably uncanny. However, there was one more important point he made in allowing me to give the image the uncanny effect, and that was storyline. The importance of narrative and meaning in products is massively important and for a second, mainly due to my amazement at how far my idea had come, i had forgotten about the narrative. So i spent the next day or two racking my brain while i was modelling my idea and this was what i came up with...



Although, elements of this image have changed in my final model, like the positioning of the objects, i have pretty much used this concept and the one Phil produced to model my final piece. As you can see the blue blue gives it that eerieness as well as more life, i suppose it is the realistic life given to the image that makes it even more uncanny. In terms of narrative, i still kept it quite simple with the torch and footprints which end near the wheelchair, i feel this is slightly ambiguous and mysterious as the footprints could have been from someone who walking with a person in a wheelchair, or slightly more supernatural, the wheelchair could have been more involved with th disappearance of the person. I feel in the final piece the torch and the footprints will be slightly less suttle and there to make the audience think about what is going on, but the main focus should be the wheelchair...

No comments:

Post a Comment